It may not always be clear if Planning Permission is required, as various factors come into play. We can normally advise after a few simple questions, and if not, certainly after a site visit or an enquiry to the local council (Prior Approval Application). We will produce all the required drawings and supporting info, which you can review, alter or approve as required. We will then submit the application and act as your agent (unless you choose to do this yourself). In either case our fees include any amendments requested by planning prior to approval.

PorchesGarage ConversionsGarage / OutbuildingsSingle Storey ExtensionsDouble Storey ExtensionsLoft Conversions
Barn Conversions - From £695.00 Multi-category / New Builds - From £795.00

(Local Authority fees vary to approve various application types)



Sometimes additional documentation is required to support the Planning drawings. If so we often inlcude the following as part of our pack (for a small additional cost):


Planning may take a week to vailidate an application. After this approval can take up to 8 weeks. Once planning approval has been granted, then in most cases the next step is to produce more detailed Building Regulations drawings for submission to Building Control.


If the Local Planning Authority refuses permission or imposes certain conditions, they must provide written reasons. In this instance communication is the key. Asking if changing the plans will make a difference is a good idea, and if the application was refused, it is often possible to submit another application with modified plans free of charge within 12 months of the decision on the first application.

Alternatively, if you think the decision is unreasonable, you may wish to consider appealing to the Planning Inspectorate. Appeals are intended as a last resort only and are a slow process. It is better to try the resubmission route first.


The development of all land and buildings in the UK is managed by a process called Planning Control, the purpose of which is to preserve our heritage and improve our infrastructure. Your Local Planning Authority (your local council) is responsible for deciding whether a proposed development should be allowed to go ahead or not. This is called Planning Permission. Some works can be exempt if they fall under "permitted development", but most proposed new buildings, major alterations to existing buildings and significant changes to the use of buildings or land need this permission before any work can commence on site. Extensions considered permitted development that are reasonably large may still be subject to the "neighbour consultation scheme", which is the responsibility of the homeowner, but we can provide this service too for a small fee.

For work not covered by permitted development, a full planning permission application has to be submitted to the Local Planning Authority. This requires a bit of form filling and their fee, and a full set of drawings showing the existing and proposed developments.


Sometimes people have work done to their property assuming it is covered by permitted development, and then receive notice from the council that planning permission was required. In this case all is not lost; it is possible to submit a retrospective planning application.